Traditional Bionicos Recipe: Guadalajara Style UPDATED 5/3/2017. Created 01/05/2015. Downloadable recipe file at the bottom. You can see all our recipes HERE.
When I created this Bionicos recipe, it was Pedro’s birthday eleventh birthday! That was over two years ago!
My entire family, including my Guadalajara-born husband’s side were skeptical about whether I’d pull off the authentic taste, using my own bionicos recipe. I nailed it! Now, I’m going to share my recipe with you.
The “crema” shown below, is the most important part! For this I added 1 1/2 cups of sour cream, 2 cups of plain yogurt, 1/2 to 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, depending on your preference, 1/3 of a can of evaporated milk, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and 1/4 cup of sugar. You can serve immediately or refrigerate before serving. You can also store it in the fridge 3-5 days. It will likely store even longer, but it’s so good, you probably won’t have anything left after the first day. We also like to use Vanilla Yogurt as an alternative. YUM!
The crema is served over fresh cut fruit and your favorite toppings, especially and most commonly, granola, nuts, shredded coconut, and shaved chocolate.
I like to cut the already refrigerated fruit when we’re ready to eat this delicious treat. I used bananas, apples, cantaloupe, strawberries, and mango. Many people also add papaya and grapes. Pro tip* Use fruits that go well together and try different combinations. I enjoy a citrus mixture, sweet fruit, and a combination of textures. This gives a depth of flavor.
Add some of your fruit mixture to a cup or bowl, then pour a desired amount of crema over the fruit. You’ll notice in the top picture there is barely a glaze of the crema on that spoon. Well, that’s because the picture looked beautiful like that. The truth is, most people prefer their bionico drenched in the crema. I certainly do! The picture below is of Pedro’s bionico. He obviously wanted extra crema.
What is your favorite traditional dish? Share in the comments! Also, before you go! Did you know that both of our Facebook Pages have now been Verified? Yay! I hope you’ll check them out and maybe show your support with a LIKE?
If you liked this recipe, you might also like to check out these!
Bionicos Recipe: Traditional Guadalajara Style
- 1 Bag or Box of your favorite granola
- ⅔ Can of Evaporated Milk
- 1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1½ cups of sour cream
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Fresh Cut Fruit **to taste** (such as bananas, apples, strawberries, cantaloupe, mango, papaya, pineapple, and grapes)
- shredded coconut
- shaved semi-sweet chocolate
- Stir the evaporated milk, condensed milk, sour cream, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla into a bowl.
- Add the "crema" mixture into a sealed container.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Cut your preferred fresh fruit according to your portion and size preferences, then and add to a cup or bowl.
- Pour your desired amount of crema over the fresh cut fruit.
- Top with granola, shredded coconut, and shaved semi-sweet chocolate.
- Store "crema" reserve in fridge for up to five days.
By: Alicia Gonzalez
Also published on Medium.